The history of Holmegaard glasswork began in 1825 when Count Christian Danneskiold-Samsøe sought permission from the King of Denmark to establish a glassworks at Holmegaard Mose. The Count, however, died in 1823 without receiving an answer to his request. His dowager, Countess Henriette Danneskiold-Samsøe decided to pursue the project when shortly after her husbands death she received permission to establish a glassworks. The factory was to be located in the bog as there was sufficient fuel there to produce the high temperatures needed for the glass kiln,
This was the start of a long and proud tradition, and as a result, even to this day some of the best artists on Denmark are associated with Holmegaard's glass production.